Sunday, October 13, 2013

Day 4: The Last 100 meters

              The end is near. It is almost the reckoning day when all our hard work will finally be put to the test. We began this project as four children who wanted to make the world a little better with an "Identity Crisis". After many battles and hitting walls, we think we may have finally developed a game that is not only playable but may actually bring a little excitement to those playing. We entered as children, left as men ( and woman).
       The biggest developmental problem we had this week proved to be the cards on the spinning wheel. When the game was play-tested by our fellow classmates, we discovered that the cards in the wheel were not being changed often enough for everyone to have an equal chance to gain item cards that they needed ( seeing as only one card at a time was being changed). As a result, players were not utilizing the cards on the spinning wheel nor the action cards ( primarily using the discard pile). We had come across our first "big" game problem. However, some fast thinking on our feet may have fixed the problem ( or so we hope). We decided to allow the players to change all the item cards on the circle every 3 rotations around. This way, if a player felt that they didn't need anything on the spinning wheel, he could ultimately, in three rotations, have another chance to pick a needed item. This new rule also made the game faster pace ( the pace we had intentionally intended for it to be).
         It was also wonderful to get fresh testers because we realized that our action cards were not diversified enough ( something we had not noticed ourselves when we played our game the multiple times we did). We needed to develop better action cards that would entice players to play them. We also realized that we needed to come up with a fun way to assist people in remembering if they called an incorrect identity crisis. Hence, the Identity Crisis Dunce Hat was born!
       All in all, we had an interesting last week full of problems and hopefully effective solutions. The creativity juice really had to flow for us to achieve what we had to do. It took patience and communication; an art we realized we have really mastered after this month.

No comments:

Post a Comment